Thursday, September 15, 2011

Home alone...

So Tuesday morning after I left for work, the boys jumped in the car, picked up Papa at his hotel and headed to Pittsburgh...three generations of Jarrell guys on a road trip. Chris had Torin saying, "road trip!" So cute.

After a yummy dinner at Mike's with my mother-in-law that evening, I headed home to an empty house...well, empty except for Pebbles. It was so odd not to have anyone else here. I haven't been home alone overnight since Torin was born. I've traveled and left the boys here. Chris has traveled and left us here. I've traveled with Torin. But the two of them had never gone anywhere overnight without me.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep well. I think I dozed on and off while watching Golden Girls, Cheers and Frasier. And then it was time to get up and get ready for work...all alone. No one else to get up. No one to get breakfast for. No one to try to get out the door to school.

Call me weird (it won't be the first time) but it just didn't feel right. I guess one day, according to some very wise friends, I'll learn to enjoy that time alone. But for now, I stand by initial reaction...it's just plain weird.

2 comments:

Dana Brown Ritter said...

I felt weird the first couple of times Michael wasn't here. Well, there's only been ONE time when I've gotten up and gotten ready at home alone, and that was weird.

But, anytime I have a few moments - or even better - hours alone, I LOOOOVE it!! I never really do anything different, but it's just nice to not have to worry about taking care of, or considering anyone else, for a bit.

phew!

Lynette said...

Lump. For some reason I got choked up reading this. But that doesn't suprise me, you have a knack for getting me to tear up.